Change Network Password
This interface is used for changing your password.Please Note:
- Information on services and systems affected by changing your password can be found here.
- You can also contact the ITS Service Desk for assistance by ringing ext. 82111 (06 3569099 ext. 82111) - you will be asked questions to help prove your identity.
You are required to authenticate (identify yourself to the network) using your network username and password.
Having password problems?
Remember, after changing your password you should log off your computer and then back in with your updated password. This ensures all network services remain available and you are not prompted for your credentials or denied access.
Check our FAQ for assistance.
Click here to access password-related FAQs.
Massey University has an Electronic Password Policy that all users are required to abide by.
Click here to view Massey University's Electronic Password Policy.
Passwords are valid for a maximum of six months and cannot be reused if used as any of the three preceding passwords.
The following structure applies:
Passwords need to be at least seven characters long and need to contain characters from at least three of the following four categories:
- English uppercase characters (A-Z)
- English lowercase characters (a-z)
- Numerals (0-9)
- Symbols (for example: !, $, #, %, Æ, é, ü, ½, ±, etc.)
You cannot use any of your names in your password - for example: someone with the name "Joey Wiggens" cannot use "Joey" or "Wiggens". Nor can your password contain three or more consecutive characters from your user account name - for example: the usercode "jwiggens" cannot have "jwi", "gge", "gen", or "ens" in the password.
- Passwords should never be sent via email or other forms of electronic communication.
- A strong password should not be easy to guess, but it should be easy to remember to avoid writing the password down. One way to do this is create a password based on a phrase or saying. For example, the phrase might be: "Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water" and the password could be "J&Jwuth2fapow".
- A password that is used elsewhere (e.g. home internet, hotmail, etc) should not be used as a Massey password.
- The "Remember Password" feature of applications (e.g. Outlook, Internet browsers) should not be used.
- Passwords should not be written down, or stored on any computer (including laptops and PDAs).
- Passwords should be changed immediately if it is suspected that they have become known by another person.
Final note: Password security is an individual responsibility and a failure to abide by this policy may result in disciplinary action